Mike lives in Raleigh, works at Epic Games, and loves his food.

Friday, June 30, 2006

perfectly good airplane

An insane birthday weekend awaits. It's not food, but I feel bound to share.

My buddy Ed is also having his birthday this weekend, and he asked me to go skydiving with him. I understand why I, with someone with nothing to lose, might jump out of an operational aircraft. Tougher to understand why a guy with a 4 month old daughter might do it. Hmm... maybe that's why!

With the Army game, I got to observe many hours of airborne training, and thought I understood the process pretty well. Clip on to the line, shuffle forward, hop out, parachute opens, float down. Not this time -- seventy to ninety seconds of freefall before the chute deploys. I suspect that will be the longest seventy to ninety seconds of my life.

I wonder if it's like what a crush feels like ... that sinking feeling in your stomach when you're absolutely attracted to someone and about to do something absolutely stupid and risk everything. (Never done that, oh no!)

On Tuesday I'm running the world's biggest run, the Peachtree Road Race. My pop and I have been doing it off and on since I was a teenager. I took a few years off, for a woman and for being chubby, but having shed both of those issues I'm back to give it another shot. So if the fall doesn't kill me, that just might. :-)

Sorry, no food reviews tonight. Going to the Fox and Hound again, for the atmosphere much more than the food, and I refuse to give them the airtime. ;-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Capps said...

Surreal, my birthday is wednesday as well. I've never known anyone with a July 5th birthday until a few years ago, and suddenly I've run into three or four...

I have a horrible fear of falling and of heights, but I used to rock climb regularly, and just overcame it. Never got over it, though. When you stop being afraid of heights, you shouldn't climb!

Sat Jul 01, 06:36:00 PM PDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home